Thursday, March 27, 2014

A Re-Cap of March in Action!

March has been an exciting and action packed month for me; I had my first talk in front of a live audience, my husband Kelly's solo art exhibition, new press, and the most recent Topaz+Arrow workshop! Here is a re-cap of this eventful month.

On March 13th, I was included in "Locals Unplugged: Females in Fashion," a discussion - held at the Ulysses Room - hosted by Think Local First featuring Theresa Watts of Lettie Gooch, and my good friend Lori Parkerson of REDEEM, and myself. I've done numerous one-on-one interviews, but this was my first talk in front of a live audience. Though the thought of speaking in front of an audience was a bit nerve wrecking, I enjoyed this opportunity to discuss and share my views on fashion, business, and my philosophies with a group of enthused ladies interested in entering this industry.

I want to sincerely thank Think Local First for including me in this discussion. It was an honor to take part in this event, and hope that what I had to say made an impact.

The set up at the Ulysses Room.

The discussion in action with my friends Theresa and Lori.

The following day, my husband and local artist, Kelly Towles celebrated the opening day of his first solo exhibition in eight years - "The Death of Ulysses" at Hierarchy.  The opening show gathered a great crowd, and I want to thank everyone who came out to support him. I can't say enough how proud I am of him, and how impressed I constantly am by his creativity and his carefully cultivated creations.

Photo by: Priscilla Ledesma of BYT

Photo by: Priscilla Ledesma of BYT

Photo by: Priscilla Ledesma of BYT

Photo by: Priscilla Ledesma of BYT

On another note, Kelly and I were featured in Brightest Young Things' series At Home With: Virginia Arrisueño and Kelly Towles. Thank you to BYT for including us, and a big thank you to the writer  Ashley Wright, and the photographer Jeff Martin for visiting our studio to write this wonderful article.

Photo by: Jeff Martin of BYT

Last but not least, this past Sunday was Morgan and my third Topaz + Arrow event of this year entitled, Leather, Branches, and Hooks. With a sold out class held at The Ulysses Room, we provided our guests with sturdy wood branches, a variety of leather, metallic paint, and hooks to create one-of-a-kind jewelry organizers.

The natural materials that our students used allowed the finished products to have an earthy, yet sleek look to them. Many of our crafty guests used different metallic paints as well as colored strings to add unique touches to their pieces.

I had a great time instructing and observing our guests creativity at work. I appreciate the enthusiasm of our guests, and value the experience to work and share my creations with people who share the same appreciate for the handmade that Morgan and I do.

I want to give a big thank you to everyone who came out to support this event, and most of all to our wonderful sponsors Honest Tea, Boulevard Brewing Company, KIND, Teeny Pies and Crème Yvette for providing us with delicious treats and refreshments throughout the workshop.

Below, are some photos from our workshop!


The place setting at each of the tables.

Our guests hard at work on their jewelry hangers.

One of the finished jewelry organizers.

No comments: