Tuesday, April 1, 2014

My Favorite Spots in DC to Eat, Drink, & Shop!

I'm so lucky to call DC my home of 12 years. Having moved here in 2002, I've collected my fair share of experiences in regards to dining and shopping. And with the exponential growth of DC's independent business and restaurant scene, I thought I'd share my personal favorite places to go. Enjoy!



Where I Like to Eat...

1. SUNdeVICHfor sandwiches

SUNdeVICH is an independent sandwich shop run out of a converted garage in Shaw, DC. The small shop prides itself on sourcing ingredients from local businesses and farmers. SUNdeVICH's menu contains sandwiches named after and containing flavors from cities around the world. My go-to sandwich? The Paris.

2. Toki Underground - for ramen

Toki Underground is DC's first Taiwanese Ramen and Dumpling House located in the H Street Corridor. In addition to ramen and dumplings, Toki Underground also serves specialty Asian-themed cocktails. My favorite ramen? The Toki Classic.  

3. Ted's Bulletin -  for dessert

Ted's Bulletin is a 30's-style restaurant with two locations in DC - Capitol Hill and U Street. The menu features an all American breakfast, lunch and supper; but I'm a big fan of the house made pop-tarts and adult shakes. My go-to item on the menu? The cinnamon sugar. And my husband, Kelly's, favorite dish? Drew's Peanut Butter Bacon Burger. 

4. Le Diplomate - for French cuisine

Le Diplomate encompasses French café culture by providing a destination for everything from a celebratory dinner to a quick coffee and pastry stop. The menu includes French brunch, hors d'oeuvres desserts, and a wide array of wines. This is also one of my favorite places to go for date night with Kelly. My favorite meal? The Foie Gras Parfait and Moules Frites.

5. Kushi Izakaya & Sushi -  for sushi 

Kushi is a modern Japanese Izakaya and Sushi Bar located in Mt. Vernon Triangle. The menu consists of pre-fixed and a la carte options for tapas, sushi rolls, salads, soups, sake, beers and more. My go-to sushi? The Grilled Kushi and Spicy Tuna Rolls.

6. The Red Hen - for Italian cuisine 

The Red Hen is an Italian-inspired American restaurant located in the Bloomingdale neighborhood of Washington, D.C. The menu features an interpretation of Italian dishes made from Mid-Atlantic ingredients. This family friendly restaurant also has high chairs compatible for bar seating, which as a parent with a toddler, I greatly appreciate and makes it incredibly convenient when reservations are full! My favorite meal? The Tuscan Chicken Liver Crostini and Mezze Rigatoni (which my son, Atticus', absolute loves).




Where I Like to Drink...

1. Big Bear Cafe -  for coffee

The Big Bear Cafe is an independent coffeehouse located in the Bloomingdale neighborhood - just a few blocks away from DeNada's showroom. In addition to a great selection of coffees and teas, Big Bear also serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  My go-to coffee? The Red Eye. 

2. Right Proper Brewing Company -  for craft beer

The Right Proper Brewing Company is a new locally-owned brew pub in the heart of the Shaw neighborhood. The beer list is constantly changing and offers both traditional and unique beers. My current beer of choice? The Raised by Wolves. 

3. Two Birds One Stone - for a creative cocktail experience

Two Birds One Stone is a basement cocktail bar located in the U Street Neighborhood. A great date night bar, Two Birds One Stone is a 60 seat restaurant including intimate alcoves, booths, and an ever-changing weekly menu. My favorite cocktail? The Vieux Carre. 




Where I Like to Shop...

1. REDEEM - for finding new fashion

Redeem is an independent boutique located in the U Street Corridor. It specializes in both men's and women's apparel, shoes and accessories from up and coming designers. I love finding interesting pieces here that are fashion-forward and represent my aesthetic. 

2. Union Market - for a little bit of everything

Union market is a year-round indoor market featuring over 40 local vendors. Here, you can find everything from flowers to cheese to linens. As a mom, I love going to Union Market with my family to shop, eat and explore. 

3. Salt & Sundry -  for home and lifestyle products

Salt & Sundry is a featured shop in Union Market that specializes in a tasteful selection of linens, tableware, gifts, and vintage goods. I always look to Salt & Sundry when I'm in the market for stylish lifestyle products.

With tons of new restaurants and shops popping up in DC, I've started a "bucket list" of places to visit. Next venture on my list? Definitely Izakaya Seki - a Japanese Izakaya located in the U Street Corridor - and Iron Gate - a Greek and Italian inspired restaurant located in Dupont Circle. 

If you have any other suggestions, let me know!


No comments: